Friday, January 23, 2015

Meal Prep Party

So, I wanted to share the process of meal prep, and what I use/buy to complete mine. Yes, it can be exhausting, but once you make it a habit, it becomes an addiction. I absolutely love meal prepping. Not only does it save time, but it's cheaper (for me), and keeps things organized and portioned perfectly.

I know a lot of people don't know what to use, the containers to buy, what portions to measure out.... well, let me just share with you what I do in this AWFUL, GRUELING, process of meal prep. :)

Containers:
I use the small, square Glad containers. In my opinion, if you use the containers with multiple slots, it leads to overloading the container, which could lead to larger portions. Keeping it simply, small, and square is just easy, {unless you're one of those weirdos who don't like their food touching... cough* my baby sister}.

List: 
I always, always make a list before going to the store. Follow your list and ignore the jelly-filled donuts Italian style bread sitting in the bakery window. Following your list will help you get through the store quicker, and keep you on task, away from that warm, fresh bread. -Bread is my weakness, can you tell?

When making your list, keep an idea of what you will be preparing. How will you group the items in the container? How will you cook the items? What will you use to cook them? Once you get into the routine of meal prep, this will all come quicker.

C-note...
Keep it simple! Meal prep is exhausting, don't try to whip up some fancy, French dish to portion out into your containers. I'm sure you're saying, but simple is blandddddd. No, you're bland. I didn't say this was going to be easy. You have to train your 'buds, as well as your mind. Try different seasonings, oils, and sauces. Trust me, chicken and veggies gets old; you have to be creative!

When I meal prep:
I meal prep on Sunday nights after workout. I make enough for dinner that night all the way up to Wednesday night. Come Wednesday night, I meal prep after workout for Thursday's and Friday's lunches/dinners. Saturdays, I cook breakfast and lunch (similar to the same things I eat during the week), and usually, Saturday nights, I'll enjoy my one cheat meal for the week somewhere yummy. Sunday mornings, I cook breakfast and lunch, then the meal prep process repeats. This works for me, and I know several people that meal prep on Sundays for the entire week. I just don't like cooking THAT much food, and having 'leftovers' that long.

Items I meal prep:
Since I meal prep twice a week, I get to switch up what I'm eating mid-week. I usually start with chicken as my meat for the beginning of the week, then switch to ground turkey (made into my meatloaf) for the remainder of the week. I switch my veggies around each week using things like, asparagus, squash, bell peppers, onions, broccoli, and green beans. I'll throw in black beans or kidney beans sometimes for extra carbs and protein. I ALWAYS prep brown rice and sweet potatoes in each container, every week. I want to make sure I'm getting those carbs!



Portions:
Chicken-  2-3 tenders
Meatloaf- 1/4 (since I'm only making this for 4 meals)
Veggies- around 1/3 cp of each
Sweet potato- 1/3 or 1/4 depending on the size of potato
Brown rice- 1/3 cp

C-Note...
I haven't prepped fish yet. I figured once I'm tired of one of the meats I'm using, I'll switch to salmon or tilapia. I may even use steak one week!

Snacks:
It helps to prep your snacks too! Put them in baggies and small containers, BOOM* ready to go. For example....

Count a serving size of almonds and put them in baggies. Wash, and cut up fruits to store so they are easy to grab and on the go. Instead of taking the whole bag of rice cakes to work, {guilty}, bag a serving size of them up to take with you. I promise, you'll save so much time and money preparing not only your meals, but your snacks too.

C-Note...
The only thing I don't prep is breakfast. I like my eggs fresh and bagel thins not over a day old. If that is the only meal you are having to cook each day.....then, make that "fresh and so lean, lean!"


I hope this 'preps' you for your meal prep! If you have any questions, feel free to ask! 







No comments:

Post a Comment